Tuesday, April 21, 2015

and an addendum.

After I wrote the previous blog for AndShe'sDopeToo, I realized that I followed so strictly and so basically the questions she asked me that I forgot a lot of things that I would have added if I were just rambling from the heart, as per usual. So here's this! 

Sorry :)

I was reading over the post a few minutes ago and wish I hadn't said the race started with a "hoard" of runners. The only way this group of runners would have been called a hoard was if, like, I had to stand in front of them naked. It was a lot of people to have to stand in front of naked, but it wasn't a lot of people to be running a race. So I'd like to rephrase that to say "small group of runners." .. and that's just another one of the millions of things that drew me to trail running/races.

Speaking of things that I love about trail running, (maybe more specifically, ultrarunning) is the wonderful community. I'm disappointed that I didn't mention that in my original post. You think I conjured up the motivation and strength to finish my first 100? WRONG. My sweet friends and even two really assertive strangers are to blame/thank for that one. Plus, you know, sometimes you're slogging up some mountainside in the heat, or rain or dark all by your lonesome and maybe you're thinking "this kinda sucks, dude" but then you go for a group run or meet up with a hundred of your closest friends for a trail race and you're like, oh yeah. I love these freaks. These people are always at the top of the list and the strongest argument to keep going whenever I try to quit.

I met a bunch of weirdos at a race in the Copper Canyons of Mexico that I very much consider family now. The Mas Loco family, crazy enough to venture in to the "dangerous" canyons of Mexico and share trails with the beautiful running people, the Tarahumara. I meet and make new friends at every race and even on my local trails and it makes me wonder if trail running attracts compassionate, genuine people or if it breeds them. I'm still not entirely sure, but they are everywhere! Honestly, I've met some of the best folks I've ever known through this sport. 

I will always loudly and repeatedly proclaim that community is the number one thing I love about ultra/trail running. 










No comments:

Post a Comment